Tuesday, June 25, 2013

We Already Won

I am really proud to be an American.

I do bitch to high hell when stuff/politics are not going my way, but I really do love this country. Sometimes it takes a foreigner, in this case an Aussie, to remind you of why the place we grew up is still amazing.

When I was in Berlin, I met up with a new friend: Irene. She had moved to Berlin from Down Undah and had traveled a fair bit, so I trusted her opinion on world affairs and politics. I was complaining to her, over German beer, no doubt, about America and how long our government and society take to actually change.

In particular, I referenced marriage equality. I was pissed that it had taken so long for America to embrace the concept that gay people are just like them. That all Americans deserve to be treated equally. And that includes gay people. (Despite whatever they think their religion might tell them.)

She looked at me dead in the eyes and said, "I think you should be proud of America."

I looked at her surprisingly. When I lived in Australia in 2004, George Bush was at the reigns of this country and Australians were not happy with America 'dragging them into' the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

She continued: "In your country, in how many states can you get married? In my country, we can't get married in ANY state. At least your country has recognized that parts of your country are not happy with the way the system is, so they've changed it."

I had never thought of that. I was too busy seeing the glass as half empty.

In reality, it is kind of quite amazing that nearly 20% of ALL Americans now live in states where marriage equality is legal.

Last fall, Washington, Maine, and Maryland became the first governing bodies (countries or states/regions)in the world to have their population vote by majority FOR marriage equality/gay rights.

The Boy Scouts now allow openly gay members. America has new, openly gay ambassadors, including the ambassador to Australia.

The point is, we ARE advancing. We are progressing. Maybe not as fast as I and others would like. But we are evolving as people.

Tomorrow is a huge day. Millions of lives will be effected by the outcome of the Supreme Court's rulings on DOMA and Prop 8. Friends of mine are seeing the writing on the wall and thinking that we do not have a chance. That this current Court is too conservative to rule in our favor.

Either way, I bet California will win equality tomorrow. I bet Edie Windsor will get her money back. Even if those two things are all that we accomplish, we will have moved mountains.



I have faith in my country that we will progress tomorrow.


all my luv,

K








(Irene, I'm sorry if I misquoted you, but I had waaay too many Deutsche Biere that night! The point is, you were right. And I've never been prouder)