Friday, September 20, 2013

Donate $7000 to my parent's flight? NOPE!


What do you guys think of this gay couple asking for people to donate so that one of the guy's parents can fly in from Salt Lake City to South Africa to attend their wedding?

Yes, you heard me right:

In the days of Syria, Egypt, poverty across sub-Saharan Africa and more, these gays think it's appropriate to start a website asking people to donate to their over-the-top wedding. Yes, one is British and has family in South Africa, but couldn't they think of a more appropriate way to earn this money?

It's like saying "Hey, I know it's my birthday and I KNOW you are gonna give me presents, so instead of presents, donate here. Yes."

To an extent, I guess there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with what they are asking. But it certainly has raised some eye brows. As an event planner, I cannot help but wonder why they cannot do 2 ceremonies. Or why they all can't fly to the UK or America to get married. One should NEVER ASSUME that you are going to get gifts for any occasion and it is just RUDE to insinuate that a gift is required. Isn't it a gift enough for all of the other family members flying all the way to Africa? Isn't it enough that you are steroided outta yo heads and could probably earn that money modeling or just looking pretty? Further more, why don't they either elope or have a civil ceremony here in the States and then do two separate weddings on each continent?

I just think that in today's day and age, it is in poor taste to ask people to donate to flying their parents out to South Africa. And for $7000? I could fly around the world for much, much less. Since I leave the country several times a year, I DO know what I'm talking about.

I mean, I am trying to get my book published. Should I start a website or kickstarter that is "Help me get my book published so I don't have to deal with the drama of finding a publisher and getting a lit agent"?

Or this one is really my favourite. What about starting a website like this:

My birthday is coming up in April and I really want to go to Paris and Berlin in the summer of 2014 to celebrate. I think Ill start a website where, instead of gifts for my birthday, you can donate to my cause of just wanting to go to Berlin and Paris next summer. No need for gifts. Donate what you can. Oh Syria? Oh Sudan? Oh Egypt? Oh...well do they have birthdays, like me, coming up in April? I didn't think so.
.com


Whatdya guys think? Comments welcome!

(here is a link to this atrocious request: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AmUEDX_O5mBUJ%3Awww.gofundme.com%2F4delv8+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us )