Monday, September 9, 2013

Shine bright like a DIAMOND


Hey gang-

Hope all is well with everyone.

So I went into the lgbt center to begin orientation to receive counseling. Yes, counseling- as in one on one with a therapist about my problems. I've had some depressed moments lately, and I thought it was high time I did something about it. I've never seen a shrink or psychologist in my life but I have always said that anyone could use a third party to talk about what troubles them.

Isn't recognizing that you have a problem in the first place the first step to getting better?

Part of what has always upset me in my life is my lack of really feeling like I fit in. Anywhere. I'm always questioning where I belong or in what group or setting I actually mesh with. How come more people don't stand beside me with my thoughts and convictions? I am very opinionated, and as a result, life in Koelenland can seem very isolated.

And my friend gave me the best advice/wisdom. He said:

"Koelen, the fact is, you really don't fit in. You aren't 'normal'. You are different. That's what makes you special. You always want people to agree with you, and the fact is: people rarely agree with you. But just because people don't agree with you, doesn't mean you aren't right. You're just polarizing. You make people think. Some of the greatest minds ever were the same way: no one agreed with them at the time; yet, their outlook on life was so polarizing that it made people re-evaluate their own thoughts and beliefs. So don't change or feel a need to fit in, because you probably won't. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's why we love you. Because you are you."


It is sometimes hard to remember who we are and what we are doing here. My advice? Shine on! Shine bright like a diamond and screw the nay sayers. The people who matter are the ones who appreciate you for you.