Thursday, September 26, 2013

Stuck between a Russia and a hard place


So of course my crazy ass booked a second trip to Europe in November to Italy flying through MOSCOW, RUSSIA. As anyone who reads the paper will know, Russia ain't cute with le gays as of late.

And as a gay man and activist, I know it seems insane to go to a country who has taken such a hateful stance against me and my people.

But the way I looked at it is Moscow would be a 22 hour layover of me dipping into their country as an undercover "straight" agent. I'd see Red Square, the river, the Kremlin, take a shot of Vodka off of a sword, eat some Caviar, and dip out. Head onward to Italia. No one the wiser.

But the problems with Russia don't stop NOR start at their anti-gay stance. You see, Americans MUST purchase a visa to even enter Russia on a layover! (Thanks a lot for telling me that, travelocity!) So much for the dippage.

This visa is only obtainable IN PERSON at a Consulate or the Embassy in only 5 locations in America, not including Los Angeles!!!

Here's the icing on the cake: I also have to be INVITED by an OFFICIAL into Russia before even being allowed to apply.

With all of these hoops, I was just gonna say "fuck it" and reschedule and or cancel my trip. However, I will be going to San Francisco this weekend and will only truly learn the total costs of the visa and the other requirements upon talking to Russian officials at their Embassy.

Yes children, after partying at Folsom, I'll be heading to the Russian Embassy for my visa!


Until then, I'm stuck between a Russia and a hard place...