Saturday, October 12, 2013

Should I Get Married? Today, I mean?!


Can I just tell you how grateful I am to now live in a state that recognizes full marriage equality? I am so blessed that the Supreme Court killed Proposition 8 and now lgbt people are closer to having full legal rights as protected under the Constitution.

I worked a gay wedding today, and it was so beautiful and moving. They had their wedding in their home, with a small guest count of 60 people. Very elegant, yet simplistic. Seeing these two handsome blocks get hitched made me long for the day when I will finally get married.

I hadn't really ever thought about what I wanted to have my wedding look like or how I actually wanted it to take place until today. I want a very personal wedding in either my back yard or someone else's. I had always thought I would want a beach wedding, but I gotta say that I love the familiarity with having your reception at home.

Another thing I realized is I really want my mom to be there to give me away. Sounds gay and silly, but these two grooms had all their relatives in attendance, including both sets of grandparents. All of my grandparents are deceased, and my family is now quite small. Having my mom there would mean the world to me. I've only ever danced with my mom once, at my sister's wedding. I really want to do that again. I love my mom and I know that her health is deteriorating, so I -all of a sudden- am filled with a new sense of urgency to get married and settle down.

For the first time in my life, I'm feeling that internal clock ticking and asking when am I gonna get married?! Obviously I need a man first...