Thursday, November 7, 2013

BRIDEGROOM /Therapy 5


Today was my 5th day/week of counseling and I felt it was my best session yet. Maybe because I had just come from a gorgeous nap after a nice day of work. Maybe it was the new 1800 bedsheet set I got. Most likely, I'm still living off the high from Illinois legalizing marriage equality yesterday.

I talked a great deal about my advocacy and activism in therapy tonight. I can admit that I put my efforts into causes that most effect me in some way or another. With lgbt rights, I stand up for what I believe is right: no one should be treated differently because of who they are. I grew up in a hometown that wasn't very accepting of gay people. If my efforts in Illinois or New Jersey or Minnesota help out even one gay kid who feels like they are lesser than realize they are beautiful, then I feel I have succeeded.

My therapist (sounding so L.A. when I say that) said that that kind of fire and enthusiasm might be something I want to direct energy towards in a different way. I couldn't agree more. I've always had a fire in my belly that is most happy when lit and lighting up the town!

I came home tonight and watched Bridegroom. I found it to be very emotional, heartbreaking, and yet so very real. Their love story is timeless and their end tragic. I highly recommend seeing this film. I could see it taking the Oscar for best documentary. Not that The Academy knows what they are doing anymore; however, this film is truly moving and depicts exactly what love is: beautiful. Pain. Joy. Happiness. And worthy of celebrating.

Kick starter funded with mostly real footage of their beautiful relationship, this movie will haunt you for a while. Can't recommend it more. Maybe if more people saw Shane and Tom's story it would bring further light to the fact that gay/lbt people are just people too.

  Tom Bridegroom was born 6 days after me in 1982. His story is not one I'll ever forget.

RIP


(If you don't know their story, go to YouTube and search for  the video        "IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU")