Saturday, December 14, 2013

Bang! Bang! Disconnect!



Yesterday some of the water sloshed out of my water bottle onto my phone without me noticing and it made my phone shut completely off. Nada.

So I have basically been without a phone for 24 hours. Yes, when I'm abroad, I barely have anything that wifi cannot give to me. So it is not like I haven't felt the "disconnection" from  society before. One of my favourite parts of going to Costa Rica every year is completely disconnecting from the modern world....while soaking up rays at the beach....

However, whatever I did to my phone disabled it to a point of a black screen and nothingness. Think back to 1998. 

(Yes Elizabeth, I kept it over night in a bag of brown rice!)

We don't realize how much of a damned umbilical cord our phones have actually become. It isn't just a phone anymore. It's instantaneous connection to anyone in the world. It's your Facebook. Is how I write my blog entries. It's my GPS. It's my camera. My texting. My calculator. My maps. My notes. It has become, dare I say, my life.

I think today is the one year anniversary of the SandyHook Elimentary School Shooting? I've been so far removed from "everything" that all I know is when I get on Facebook everyone is talking about guns.

I hate guns. I will never be a fan of guns nor a gun owner.



But I don't know how much of a fan I am of gun control, either. Everything the government tries to restrict, they do a bad job of. Every time gun regulation legislation is proposed, the laws are so full of pork and ridiculousness that they do nothing to help the situation nor remove deadly guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals.

That's just my two cents. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the apple store on my ipad writing this and praying for my phone to be better. Sound selfish? Well, it is. Life, sometimes, is about perspective.

Tragedy can strike. Horrible things can happen. But life goes on.