Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Therapy 8: Snap Out of It



I started writing a blog entry 30 minutes ago that was all about complaints:

Friends being flakes. People in my life not caring. Friends moving away. Not having love in my life. Etc.

But I am so lucky. I'm alive to write this. I'm alive and the world is still so full of possibilities. 

Last week in therapy I learned that I need to change if I wanted to see different outcomes in my life. But this week I learned that there are some risks in changing, including friends who aren't along for your ride. 

I'm also learning acceptance. Accepting people for who they really are. Accepting the way people treat me. And not accepting what I am no longer willing to put up with.

It's funny: every time I go to therapy I get a little anxious and wonder what I will talk about. But then I'm always happy I went.

This week, for some reason, I didn't have such a great feeling. I'm realizing that dealing with your problems isn't always easy. Coming to terms with your issues isn't all that great of a journey. Coming to terms with where you actually stand in people's life's is hard. Realizing your place in people's lives is never easy.

But acceptance of yourself and of your changes means realizing that people come into our lives for a reason. Accepting that some people leave our lives only to make room for someone new.