Wednesday, December 18, 2013

STUDY ABROAD 4: London

STUDY ABROAD 4: London

July 10th, 2009:


I woke up this morning with another great jog. Go me! I ran to Camden town and it is certainly a funky and beautiful little borough of London. School was a lot better today when Professor Simpson was unable to use his crutch...er..I mean... his overhead slide projector as a teaching tool and had to do his whole lecture based on memory and his passion for the subject. It really made class hands on and made me realize how much teachers try too hard sometimes. That and it made me realize he teaches half of his class off of wikipedia!



We left class and had a brief amount of time to go to the hotel before we had to be at the Handel House. George Fredrick Handel's house was on our list from day one and was our first tour as a group, so we were all excited to go. We walked there from our hotel in a Madeline-like single filed grouping and as it turned out, the journey was most certainly better than the destination. Handel's five roomed house was smaller than my first apartment and it was very crowded and sparsely furnished. Not exactly what anyone of us had expected.

We left Handel house and headed for Bond street: hungry for beer and food! We stopped in at a pub for some fish and chips (I had the chicken club) and had only the finest British Ales.



After we were nice and loaded, the boys wanted to go to shopping at Topman and back to Selfridges since we were in the neighborhood. Being in Selfridges and looking around at all the Londonites shopping is like being a character in an Oscar Wilde novel: if you looked around, you could see the class system at its finest and worst!



I didn't feel like spending 15 pounds on a bloody pair of socks, so I persuaded the boys to walk to Trafalgar square instead.

I love Trafalgar. The people watching there is so fun and the boys and I sat there for almost 2 hours shooting the shit and smoking.



As it got dark, the gang and I decided to head back to le hotel and order in.

Whille waiting for our food, we realized the girls were going out that night to a club called Fabric and were getting all dressed up to do so. Though I was still pissed at Tessa and the other girls for leaving Rachel, then Andrew, then Me the first night, I thought going out with the girls and getting all dressed up too could be a lot of fun and a way for us to burry the hatchet.

The girls had been getting ready since before we had even returned to the hotel. So they left ahead of us guys and we had each promised to meet up at Fabric. Us boys finished getting ready and headed over to the club.



Only a few of us, including myself, had iPhones on the trip at this time, and we knew international rates were killer, so we avoided calls only when necessary. So we got to the club, where we, grumbling but obligingly, paid the 20 pound cover charge. THEN called the girls.

At first we couldn't reach them by phone, so we ordered a drink. By the time we did get ahold of them, we had already purchased a drink when the girls dropped a bombshell on us: They had decided to not go to Fabric at all and go to this place called ZOO instead, because it was right by our hotel and had no cover! And Tessa was the apparent ring leader. DAMNIT I WAS LIVID! I could not believe that I was the cheerleader amongst the guys to get them to get all dressed up and to come out to this expensive ass night club just to play nice with the gals…And these bitches stood us up!

Though a few other dumb things happened like Ernie buying fake E off of some stranger, we did succeed in taking Iggi out to his first night club and it was there that he got to make out with some Swedish chick, as well! At the end of the night, Mike, Ernie, Jacob, and I had lost Iggi, but we decided he was a big boy and could make it home on his own. By the time we made it back to the hotel, all the girls were there and we ended up having a make shift late night pajama party in one of their rooms. May not have been the unification I was looking for, but hey…it worked.